Thursday, June 02, 2005

as promised: (revised shortly after i posted it)
  1. 1. Total number of movies owned? I've never really bought movies. there are so many things that i haven't seen, i rarely watch things more than twice (except when i'm just bored and i watch some movie on tv that i've seen before while i'm doing something else). i own about 5, there are 4 in the house and i can think of one in the garage. I have a few other tapes/dvds that aren't actual movies. Actual movies i have actually purchased myself: Metropolis, Life of Brian (i watch it every year on my birthday) and a used vhs of Clue that i bought from a rental store that was going out of business.
  2. The last movie bought? I guess that was Life of Brian. i bought it 2 years ago as a graduation present for myself.
  3. The last movie watched? Technically i guess this was Red Diaper Baby, which i watched late at night on sundance while making cookies.
  4. Do I primarily buy, rent, Netflix or steal movies from friends? probably the biggest perk (after no rent) of living with my parents is that they have satellite tv and a tivo. if and when i move out i'll probably get netflix, but as is i don't have enough time to watch what i tivo. currently waiting for me are: Dogville; Swingers; sex, lies and videotape; some other stuff i've already forgotten about.
  5. 5 movies that mean a lot to me:
    1. The Muppets Take Manhattan was the first movie i ever saw in a theater. it's a musical. i wrote a paper on it. i sang "saying goodbye" at the senior day awards ceremony at thhs. it's the fucking muppets. that movie means way more to me than anything owned by the disney corporation has any right to mean to anybody.
    2. Life of Brian is without a doubt in my mind the greatest comedy movie ever made.
    3. I originally had Citizen Ruth/Election here, but after thinking about it I'm going to change that to Being There.
    4. Radio Days. The funny parts of this movie are hysterical, and the ending is sentimental but heartbreakingly beautiful. but most wonderful is the flawed but loving portrait of the family. i think my favorite scene in this movie is when the father and uncle start randomly singing along with the girl to some carmen miranda song. sometimes i think of this movie as the jewish version of A Christmas Story, which is admittedly somewhat more laugh out loud funny.
    5. "means a lot to me" is a bit strong, but super honorable mention goes to Metropolis (1927 Fritz Lang movie, not the anime thing). i will never forget the first time i saw it (with NO soundtrack whatsoever, just total silence) and the moment when you first see maria walk through the double doors into the garden. holy crap.
    6. Honorable mentions (movies that wow me but don't really "mean a lot to me"): Network, Citizen Ruth, Election, Ghost World (though it has less and less impact on me every time), Rushmore, Edward Scissorhands, Full Metal Jacket, A Clockwork Orange, Stop Making Sense, Dancer in the Dark, Twelve Monkeys, The Fisher King, Delicatessen, Donnie Darko, a whole bunch of Woody Allen movies but especially Hannah and Her Sisters, Manhattan, and Everybody Says I Love You, An American in Paris, Hedwig and The Angry Inch (with the first concluding musical sequence that might survive being compared to the one in An American in Paris), All That Jazz, A Hard Day's Night. more that just aren't coming to mind right this second.
  6. Tag 5 people and have them fill this out on their ljs: meh.
stay tuned for some musings, but not a survey, on my favorite theatre.

1 comment:

  1. i like astaire better too as a performer, but i think kelley was in better movies. which is saying a lot since kelley also choreographed and in some cases co-directed many of them.

    ReplyDelete